We admit it, we’re big drinkers. Our reasons:
- We live in France
- PEOTUS tRump!
We also have to admit that drinking everyday has its downsides: fuzzbrain, puff-face, belly bloat. While we’re not all resolution makers here at Les Lolos HQ, we have collectively decided to hop aboard the Drynuary wagon.
For those unfamiliar with the term and concept, Drynuary is when you quit alcohol for the month of January. It’s a way to detox, reset and start the new year on a healthier, more mindful path. The unimbibed calories alone should help anyone who’s also made the “lose weight/get fit” resolution.
- It’s not easy. Especially if you’ve got a rocking social life. Or have kids. Or live in France. Or follow tRump’s Twitter. You have to consciously make the decision each
tweetmoment, “Nope, not gonna drink.”
- Be prepared. Spoil yourself with some wonderful-smelling and -tasting teas. Instead of reaching for a wineglass to relax, make a cup of honey-sweetened vanilla rooibos or a classic chamomile.
- Mocktails, i.e. virgin cocktails are on virtually every drink menu. They’re usually awful so if you’re not feeling adventurous, order a sparkling water with apple (or other) juice, i.e. Saudi champagne.
- Make January the month when you cocoon with a few good books instead of hitting the bars.
- Replace drinking with sex.
- No need to be militant. If you miss a day, start over. If you can’t imagine complete abstinence, allow yourself one drink a week.
- Join our #LesLolosDry group. LOLOS who don’t drink together, stick together! Take pictures of your teas, your books, the cocktails you wish you were drinking, your rumpled bedsheets and post them on Instagram or Facebook. Tag us and use the hashtag #LesLolosDry. Let’s hold each other accountable and celebrate our successes. If you’ve got a great idea for not-drinking this month, share it with the rest of us!
Having gone dry a few times, we can say we’ve never regretted NOT drinking. You lose weight, your skin looks amazing, you save money, you’re more productive. That’s like five resolutions in one.
So who’s ready to kick Drynuary’s ass with us? #LesLolosDry!